Monday

XXIII: StomachCake (March 7th, 2011)


Here’s another week in which my cake is largely influenced by my ginger brother. The gchat conversation with him started as most do – with him demanding I make/buy him something.

Joe: make me pancakes
me: yeah alright maybe
Joe: yeah!!!
you should make a cake that’s in the shape of a frying pan
me: yep thought of that one
i don’t want my blog to turn into a giant pun though
Joe: ok, how about this one
you just make a big belly
and call it a stomach cake
me: you are just a hub of clever ideas
Joe: they don’t ever stop, really

This cake was doubly awesome because I was able to make it up in New Haven with friend Kathryn at my brother and his fiance’s apartment. Totally worth hauling 25 pounds of cake decorating materials across the state of Connecticut. When we arrived we stared at pictures of Kateri’s uterus and tried to figure out the sex of their baby for a while, but it looked mostly like a peanut, and, I mean, you try to find genetalia on a peanut. It’s next to impossible.



I was a little worried about this one. I was dealing with a 9″ cake I had baked and frozen days earlier, because I had a notion that I could cut out a 6″ circle and use the residual cake to build the belly. It actually worked out alright. I had my doubts.



Doesn’t that look like a ninja turtle? I think it looks like a ninja turtle.

Joe: i texted dad about the stomach cake
“I may need more info. to make an educated decision. my initial thoughts would be along the lines of bad idea. but that’s just one man’s opinion.”

After Joey explained that Stomach Cake is a play on Stomach Ache, dad said “I’m glad you explained.”




To me, it is clear that this guy has indigestion. He is hurting. And he is fat. This is a man who just spent $80 at Dallas BBQ and is in dire need of a restroom. I feel as though I’ve captured this delicate disposition quite nicely.

This one was actually a lot of fun to improvise with. As usual, I only had a vague idea of how I was going to execute this thing. No crazy techniques here, just different colored fondant, and all the external additions were attached with plain old water. While I finished up, dinner was almost ready. It was spaghetti squash. Have you ever seen one of these things? It’s literally spaghetti inside of a squash.



Oh and cousin Meghan came by for literally a second.


Than we drank some wine and CUT THAT THANG UP







NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

No comments:

Post a Comment