Monday

Forever Twenty One (February 28th, 2011)


More cake shaped like food. In case you thought for a moment that I was capable of an imaginative thought beyond things that are edible. This one was inspired by my brother, who gave me a friendly suggestion on gchat one weekday afternoon.

Joe: make me cake
a cake shapped [sic] like a pie
but have it actually be a pie
because cake sucks
me: this started off great then took a nasty turn
Joe: it is no shot at your craft
just the taste of cake in general
i’m sure the mona lisa tastes disgusting

This is also the brother that does not read his sister’s blog, but instead looks at the pictures and uses the wordfinder feature to see if she mentions him. This is also the brother that is having a child in 4 months.

So off I go, I’ve got a cake that is ready to be decorated and an actual action plan of execution. First I cut down the sides of the cake to make it resemble a pie pan. Then I covered it in pie crust-colored fondant.


Then I wrapped the sides in white fondant, to later be painted silver. THEN I put a large circle of pie crust-colored fondant on top, and pinched the edges to give it that essence of pie – which by the way is a new fragrance I’m designing. Essence of pie.


Do you notice a problem here? Does anything I just said strike you as odd? Here’s a hint it has to do with the three layers of fondant I put on a cake that’s 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall. That’s a problem. That’s called god-awful planning. But at least it came out alright.

Here was my next mistake. I decided to make it a blueberry pie, and I used real blueberries. I figured that piling full blueberries would give too much height to this thing so I thought that cutting them in half made sense.



DUMB. My genius brain devised a genius plan in which I put a fine layer of frosting beneath the halved blueberries so that they wouldn’t slip around underneath the woven crust pattern in the tradition of pie – little did I know that halved blueberries are liable to ooze juices and the combination of the juices and the sugary frosting made for a pretty nasty and continuous drip.


Let’s call it realism. This was the most awesome part though – when I was cleaning up the leftover silver fondant paint, it got all over my hands, and that kept me occupied for a while.


Another highlight of the evening was when Brittany came over with her dog Henry, and I pretty much followed him around until it was time to eat pie cake, which, by the way, was made of red velvet.






Oh and also did you know that this is what the inside of a blueberry looks like? I did not. I feel weird about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment