Saturday

Forty-Two: Maygim anoffah eecan’ refoos (October 5th, 2011)


Roses! Blue-ass roses. It’s a new thing I’m trying – taking things that are usually red, and making them blue. You may remember the blue lobster cake I made with Adam a few weeks back. It’s just…it’s just how I operate, you know? Challenge the status quo. It’s a complexly abstract concept, and I don’t expect you to understand it. But I promise you, it’s extremely impressive. Red…to blue. Genius.

Of course, blue roses exist in the world, as do blue lobsters, but if you feel the need to point that out, then you just don’t get it. Alright enough of that. I chose to do a cake covered in roses because I have been hired to make a wedding cake for an actual wedding in which there will be an actual bride and an actual groom and actual guests that will be actually looking at it, taking pictures of it, and eating it. This undertaking is, of course, more daunting than it is exciting, in my dumb head. Coming to my point here – the bride has requested a clean, simple, traditional design plus a wall of cascading roses. This cake is practice.

I have to make a side-note here: a good number of you, namely the ones who came over from Reddit, are confused right now because it is well known to you that this wedding cake has already been made, looked at, and eaten. This is true. In real time, if we’re going to be real, here, the wedding was last weekend (October 1). But I’m extremely behind on cake posts, if you haven’t noticed, so just play along, and also be cool.

The moment I realized that I was going to have to make dozens of edible flowers for a wedding cake, I made it my business to work on my technique. People swear by the gum paste method – which is just to use gum paste when making flowers – but for this cake, I used fondant. Because, I don’t know. I am comfortable with fondant, and I don’t like change. I have since become best friends with gum paste.

These flowers were made by rolling various-sized balls of fondant, individually schmooshing them out into petal shapes, and placing them strategically around a conical fondant bud.




The process was tedious. And it was my first attempt at edible flowers, and if you know anything about that practice, you’ll know that it is an art form. Not easily adapted. People like, specialize in the art of making flowers that you can eat. So it was a daunting task, and ultimately frustrating. For a first try, though – eh, it was fine.

When I say that it was a tedious task, I mean that my mind wandered a lot. My brain was very impressionable, just sitting there manipulating fondant. I do remember that The Godfather was on TV, and some roommates watched it from start to finish as I worked. I couldn’t devote my full attention to it, but I think I got the gist of it.

This is the famous scene where Don Corleone holds a cat, and is a better man for it:


It took me the better part of the movie to realize that Marlon Brando’s character’s name was not “Donald.”

Next we see that goddamned Jeremy come in and ask the Don for a favor, which he is not please about, but since his daughter is getting married, he has to oblige:



And here we are, still in the first scene of the movie, where young Michael Corleone tells his girlfriend that his dad is a dick and he’s going to pursue a different career:


Michael then murders some people and has to go into hiding. He quite enjoys the Italian countryside, and that wife he found:


Back in the US, Michael’s brother, Sinbad, gets shot up. This very much upsets Donald. Michael comes back and takes over the family business. Sequence is questionable, here.


In the end we learn that Donald never wanted this life for his son, and he is soon after murdered by his toddler grandson with a gun made out of a hand.


And that’s pretty much it! My movie cliff notes, and you are welcome. The pictures of this cake have such a huge association with this movie for me now. Both elegant, classic, and overly time-consuming.






No comments:

Post a Comment