Monday

47: It'sa Me, Meh-rio (December 15th, 2011)







Once again, I find myself bested by that immoveable temptress, gravity. I was really just being dumb, though. I didn’t think this one through.

You might recognize this week’s cake as the piranha plant from Mario Bros. Probably my least favorite villain of the series, save for maybe the evil sun that follows you around in the desert levels. But I’ve always enjoyed the look of the Piranha Plant, especially in Mario64. If you killed it, you got a blue coin, which is equivalent to five coins, which roughly translates to 2.5 minutes of heightened self esteem. And as a person who spent years of her life playing the most namby-pamby video game in existence only to accumulate, realistically, maybe 60 stars out of a possible 120, I took what I could get, self-esteem-wise.

It was a cute little cake for about 4 minutes, then it started to sink. Serves me right. I made the head of the plant – the red part – out of cake, modeling chocolate, and fondant. The center is cake, it’s covered in a layer of modeling chocolate, and then there’s a layer of fondant.



I guess the idea with using the modeling chocolate was that it would create this super-smooth surface. It might have worked, had it not been so heavy. It was just sloppy. And then I put it on top? Of this tiny green cake? With no support? I don’t know what was happening in my head.


As soon as I stacked it, I knew that this thing was not going to stand. My solution? Add the details as quickly as possible and take pictures immediately. I now realize that this is not a realistic fix. I also realize that the word “fix” does not apply. I don’t know who I was trying to fool.

This cake was not eaten, nor was it really seen by anyone except maybe in the peripheral vision of my roommates. Which is, you know. Fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment